Friday, December 5, 2008

Happiness is a state of mind and not a set of circumstances

When is the last time you said or thought something positive? If it has been in the last hour or so you are good...no worries...don't even read the next few thoughts...go...have a good day. If it has been days, like me, then...let's talk. I am ticked off, sad, thoughtless, irritated and generally unhappy but other than that I am good. What makes me that way is my state of mind. Instead of enjoying the rose for its color and great smell I warn myself "...careful that rose is pretty and sure smells nice but it will prick you.". What a shame!

My wife has reminded me that to be happy you must stay positive. In other words you have to "choose" to be happy. We have a choice! We can choose to be happy and not sad or irritated. Someone once said that "Happiness is a state of mind and not a set of circumstances". How true! How True! The next time your child grabs the drapes, jumps up on the leg of the couch, and screams "Hey Mom! Watch this!" as he proceeds to swing from the drapes and into the window imitating Spider Man (thank goodness the rod broke before he went through the window) instead of screams and threats of punishment you just laugh and enjoy a healthy, capable boy imitating his heroes.

Every day is full of challenges. Our goal and prayer should be to see the beauty in what God has provided and choose to see the real picture of happiness instead of the illusion of the Adversary.

1 comment:

Hear Me Roar said...

Amen!!!

I think you need to read this daily!! Make it your homepage!! Choose happiness!!! Fear, anxiety, worry, dread, these are not from God! They are the easy out! You are a very blessed man! I think when you really get that and see all you really posess it will overwhelm you with true joy. Don't let that be stolen from you. I don't want you to experience regret!

You are deeply loved,
Your wife